Update March 2022:
The group who were formed back in 2020 have largely achieved their initial objective of raising cycling on the Chesham Town Council and Bucks Council agendas and get Chesham voices heard.
With the help of Local & Bucks Councillor, Jane McBean, and tireless work by the various members of Zone 9, including Richard Dunn, Phil Harrison, Pam Wignall and Trevor Brawn, the following steps have now been achieved:
– Meeting held in late 2021 with Ben Feeney-North (Bucks County Transport Representative) and Jane McBean with regard to Local Active Travel plans.
– Agreed a strategy to enable engagement with consultants for provision of a Chesham Active Travel plan. Four consultants selected, with two positive replies with quotes.
– Further meeting 22/03/2022 with the same group. Outcome of meeting – joint response to quotes to be responded to by Phil/Richard/Trevor by end of March; next phase is to meet with consultants and generate an Active Travel plan.
– Funding – successful bid for funding from Bucks Chesham Community Board to pay for the Active Travel Plan.
– There is a potential shortfall in the bid at present; Jane McBean is looking for ways to find this required shortfall, so awaiting further information on this.
– Noted role of Group might shift towards encouraging feedback from local cyclists, as consultants
would be taking forward plans and developing this with Bucks CC (if funding found as above).
– New co-ordinator will be needed since Pam has stepped back due to other commitments.
CONGRATULATIONS & THANKS TO THE WHOLE ZONE 9 TEAM FOR THEIR FOCUS AND COMMITMENT TO THIS GREAT PROJECT TO RAISE THE PROFILE OF CYCLISTS IN CHESHAM AND IMPROVE THE CYCLE NETWORK LOCALLY.
History of Zone 9:
The group were formed in 2020 by a group of Chesham residents who wanted to encourage and promote safer cycling within Chesham and the surrounding villages and towns. They formed under the Sustainable Chesham umbrella as their aims are in line with those of SC, they shared members and SC are an active community group & a Town Partner with good links to Chesham Town Council.
In 2021 The Zone-9 Cycling Group started off by talking to the Community, Assets, Recreation and Environment Committee of Chesham Town Council for the development of cycling and walking routes within Chesham and out towards the neighbouring villages. These proposals include encouraging more children to cycle and walk to school and developing a Cycling Hub with repair facilities, cycle shop, café and a facility for hiring e-bikes and adult bikes.
Zone-9 was delighted that the Committee agreed to instigate discussions with the Group, after the local elections. The Group’s proposals were then to be considered in detail with a view to having some or all of them included in the Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan for Buckinghamshire being developed by Buckinghamshire Council.
There is a national move to promote local cycling and walking, and Zone-9 believes that Chesham should be part of that. The Group would like opportunities to be provided for local residents to leave their car at home and by doing so, make a positive contribution towards improving the town’s carbon footprint, to climate change and to the wellbeing of local people.