What’s the problem?
“We waste about a third of all food produced for human consumption. This wasted food has taken loads of fresh water, land and labour to produce. If it were a country, food waste would be the third highest emitter of greenhouse gases in the world.” Friends of the Earth
What can I do?
Take action on reducing your own food waste
- Weigh each food waste bag before collection and set a weekly household target.
- Get tips from Royal Horticultural Society on home composting
- Learn how to start a wormery
- Read Friends of the Earth’s top tips for a beautiful food waste bin
- Read Recycle for Buckinghamshire’s top tips for food storage
Use one of these Food Waste Apps to share your leftover food with others:
Chesham Community Fridge
Runs every Saturday and Wednesday from 10am–12pm next to Broadway Baptist Church, Chesham. In the first 4 months of 2020 Chesham Community Fridge redistributed 20 tonnes of edible food, compared with 33 tonnes for the whole of 2019.
Chesham Local Produce Market
A collaboration between Sustainable Chesham and Chesham Town Council, this market was established in 2010. It runs on the fourth Saturday of every month and sells high quality food, drink and crafts from approximately a 25-mile radius of Chesham.